Jump to content
The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Guest Car Club

Member suspension

Recommended Posts

Guest Car Club

Club membership runs from Jan 1 through Dec 31. On Dec 3, 2015 a member is suspended for 364 days. They are not a member in good standing until suspension is completed. Member does not new membership in 2016, 2017, 2018.  In July 2019, member renews membership. Does the suspension reactivate as of the date they renew membership and continue until the remainder of the 364 days finishes??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Guest Car Club said:

Club membership runs from Jan 1 through Dec 31. On Dec 3, 2015 a member is suspended for 364 days. They are not a member in good standing until suspension is completed. Member does not new membership in 2016, 2017, 2018.  In July 2019, member renews membership. Does the suspension reactivate as of the date they renew membership and continue until the remainder of the 364 days finishes??

If the organization used the disciplinary procedures in RONR, I think the answer to this question is certainly “no.”

If the organization used customized disciplinary procedures in its bylaws, then I suppose it is ultimately a question of bylaws interpretation, but I am generally inclined to think the answer is still “no.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Car Club
28 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

If the organization used the disciplinary procedures in RONR, I think the answer to this question is certainly “no.”

If the organization used customized disciplinary procedures in its bylaws, then I suppose it is ultimately a question of bylaws interpretation, but I am generally inclined to think the answer is still “no.”

No the suspension does not carry over or no they are not a member in good standing?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guest Car Club said:

No the suspension does not carry over or no they are not a member in good standing?

No, the suspension does not carry over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Guest Car Club said:

Club membership runs from Jan 1 through Dec 31. On Dec 3, 2015 a member is suspended for 364 days. They are not a member in good standing until suspension is completed. Member does not [re]new membership in 2016, 2017, 2018.  In July 2019, member renews membership. Does the suspension reactivate as of the date they renew membership and continue until the remainder of the 364 days finishes??

Did the member actually resign from membership, or just fail to renew?  That is, was a resignation, if any, accepted?  Upon renewal, did the member pay up all the back dues for the four years?

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Car Club

The member did not resign, just did not renew the following January. There were no back dues owed since he did not renew. Membership is paid yearly and ends on December 31.  If you do not renew you are not member. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Guest Car Club said:

The member did not resign, just did not renew the following January. There were no back dues owed since he did not renew. Membership is paid yearly and ends on December 31.  If you do not renew you are not member. 

 

Many societies require that back dues are owed unless the member officially resigns and that resignation is accepted.  If that does occur, the member may not simply renew, but must apply for membership as if a new member.  The most common reason that a resignation would not be accepted is to prevent a member from escaping the payment of back dues.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Car Club

So, does the remainder of the suspension carry over once he renews regardless of how many years have passed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Car Club

The member re joined as a new member. There as no past due membership money due.  The membership is for 1 year.  If you renew, you pay your dues, if you do not renew you owe no money and are not a member.  When you re join it is as a new member and you pay your yearly dues for that year. My question is, does the penalty that remained unserved, continue once they renew?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you find unclear about Mr. Martin's answer?

On 10/5/2019 at 4:19 PM, Josh Martin said:

No, the suspension does not carry over.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Car Club

I did not find Mr. Martin's answer unclear. I was looking for other opinions. Sometimes there are more than one opinion or viewpoint on a subject.  No disrespect meant for Mr. Martin's opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2019 at 6:55 PM, Guest Car Club said:

The member re joined as a new member. There as no past due membership money due.  The membership is for 1 year.  If you renew, you pay your dues, if you do not renew you owe no money and are not a member.  When you re join it is as a new member and you pay your yearly dues for that year. My question is, does the penalty that remained unserved, continue once they renew?

No, it would not carry over. 

The only way I can see that it would is if he rejoined during the penalty period.  But presuming it was defined as calendar days (and I see nothing to suggest otherwise) it would have expired during the time period that he was not a member.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...