The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Allowing a non-member to speak perpetually

mjhmjh

If an organization wished to allow a particular non-member to speak in debate at a meeting, it could suspend the rules for that meeting. What if it wished to allow a particular non-member to speak in debate at all its future meetings, as if that non-member were a member? (Excluding the ability to vote, of course). Would a special rule of order be necessary?

Edited by mjhmjh

Either a special rule of order or a bylaw amendment. If my understanding is correct, the weird thing is that without any rule a two-thirds vote would be needed to allow the non-member to speak on a case-by-case basis, while if a special rule of order or bylaw amendment is created then a two-thirds vote would be needed to stifle the non-member each and every meeting. I'm not so sure I would be willing to make that tradeoff.

If I understand correctly, what is being suggested is, in effect, another class of membership in the organization. Such a class of membership, though it currently would include only one person, should be very carefully established in the bylaws, setting out the exact rights and responsibilities of members of that class. I will leave it to the assembly to fully deliberate the wisdom of such a proposal.

1 hour ago, reelsman said:

If I understand correctly, what is being suggested is, in effect, another class of membership in the organization. Such a class of membership, though it currently would include only one person, should be very carefully established in the bylaws, setting out the exact rights and responsibilities of members of that class. I will leave it to the assembly to fully deliberate the wisdom of such a proposal.

I do not agree that this would be another class of membership, since this would be extended to non voting members. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.