The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Accepting a resignation letter from a board member of a non - profit

Guest Taggerfeet

Hi. 

I've moved into the secretary position at my non-profit board. We've received a board member resignation. She wasn't there a lot (hence the resignation). I'm trying to find standards/templates for writing a letter to accept the resignation, but I'm not finding many examples in the internets. I'm to write her a letter thanking her for her service etc. 

This is all new to me, so any help would be appreciated. I'm starting to dork out over governance issues, but I'm hitting a wall in this regard. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Tf

17 minutes ago, Guest Taggerfeet said:

I've moved into the secretary position at my non-profit board. We've received a board member resignation. She wasn't there a lot (hence the resignation). I'm trying to find standards/templates for writing a letter to accept the resignation, but I'm not finding many examples in the internets. I'm to write her a letter thanking her for her service etc. 

This is all new to me, so any help would be appreciated. I'm starting to dork out over governance issues, but I'm hitting a wall in this regard. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RONR has no guidance on this matter and does not require that such a letter be sent at all. The resignation must be accepted by the body authorized to fill the resulting vacancy, at a meeting, but nothing further is necessary.

6 hours ago, Guest Taggerfeet said:

A lot of the time, the secretary's correspondence about what took place at a meeting takes this general form:

I do hereby certify that the following is a true and correct copy of a <motion/resolution> duly adopted at a regular or properly called meeting of the board of <The Society> at which a quorum was present:

text of motion or resolution

Certified:

In the case of accepting a resignation, for example, the board is free to insert "with regret" in the actual motion, after the word accepts. If it is desired to fancy it up a bit more, phrasing it as a resolution with a Whereas clause or two can make it more classy.

But this is all at the option of the board itself.  RONR has no rule that acceptance of a resignation requires any letter be sent to the resignor at all, and doesn't authorize the secretary to express the thanks of the board unless the board has actually expressed its thanks.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.