The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Counting Ballots

Guest PaulH

Agreeing with Mr. Huynh, one of the main reasons for having the tellers go to a separate room to count the ballots is that if there is a long ballot or many ballots to count, the assembly can be conducting other  business while the tellers are counting the ballots.

Edited to add:  see page 415 lines 19 - 23 of RONR for more information on that point.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

1 hour ago, jstackpo said:

Which is NOT a good thing if the tellers are members of the association -- they miss out on decisions.

Well, I think whether it is a good thing depends upon the circumstances. Page 415 of RONR certainly gives no hint of it being a bad thing but rather a fairly customary thing. Many assemblies take up  routine business and reports or guest speakers while the ballots are being counted. Other assemblies choose to be in recess while the ballots are being counted.

1 hour ago, jstackpo said:

Which is NOT a good thing if the tellers are members of the association -- they miss out on decisions.

Yes, I've been out of the room counting during a convention, but if I was in the meeting otherwise I'd want the tellers focused solely on correctly counting the votes and preparing their report, so it is a good thing if they count them elsewhere, in my opinion.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.