The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Officer elections - given role I wasn't present to vote on

Guest Undecided

7 minutes ago, Guest Undecided said:

I was absent for a board meeting, and upon my arrival back home I was informed I was now the Treasurer. I do not want this appointment, and I feel I'm not qualified. 

What are my options, other than resigning? I can't find any precedent on this.

"TIME AT WHICH AN ELECTION TAKES EFFECT. An election to an office becomes final immediately if the candidate is present and does not decline, or if he is absent but has consented to his candidacy. If he is absent and has not consented to his candidacy, the election becomes final when he is notified of his election, provided that he does not immediately decline. If he does decline, the election is incomplete, and another vote can be taken immediately or at the next meeting without further notice."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 444

If you did not consent to your candidacy and don't want the position you need to immediately decline by informing the Secretary. 

Edited by George Mervosh

19 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

If you did not decline "immediately" upon being informed of your election, you may very well now be Treasurer.  Did you?

28 minutes ago, Atul Kapur said:

Still worth trying to so now, citing page 444 of RONR to back you up.

I agree with both responses.  As a practical matter, it is ultimately going to be up to the president and/or the assembly to decide whether his "declining to serve" was timely.  It seems to make more sense to treat his declining to serve as being timely and to treat the election as incomplete rather than to require a formal resignation, formal acceptance of the resignation, and calling of a special election to fill the vacancy. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.