The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Tomm

Can it be suspended

The rule that unfinished business falls to the floor when there is a change in board composition does not apply to changes due to resignations, removals, or other appointments to fill vacancies. [pp. 488-89].  The rule only applies when directors have staggered terms.  The purpose of staggered terms is to promote stability and continuity.  I believe requiring unfinished business to be reintroduced anew frustrates both of those purposes. So please allow me to reiterate my request for an explanation -- is there some legitimate reason for this rule that I am failing to see?T

The rule doesn't just apply to boards, much less "only...when members have staggered terms".

The first session of an assembly that begins the terms of some or all of its members is generally treated as a new assembly.

Guest Zev

I fail to see any problem. The reason is stated on page 489 lines 1 and 2 and the solution for unfinished business not falling to the ground is indicated on page 237 lines 10 through 13.

This kinda circles around to my original post "Death of Unfinished Business" and if all those who's terms had expired were re-elected does unfinished business die?

Page 489 lines 3 & 4 also states "Consequentially, when the outgoing portion of the board vacates membership..." Seems to me that, although some responses to that post suggest that, because it's the end of the term that causes the business to die, the entire paragraph is clearly referring to the membership of the board. So if nobody really "vacates membership" then there's no real need for the business to die or refer it to a committee?

1 hour ago, Tomm said:

This kinda circles around to my original post "Death of Unfinished Business" and if all those who's terms had expired were re-elected does unfinished business die?

Page 489 lines 3 & 4 also states "Consequentially, when the outgoing portion of the board vacates membership..." Seems to me that, although some responses to that post suggest that, because it's the end of the term that causes the business to die, the entire paragraph is clearly referring to the membership of the board. So if nobody really "vacates membership" then there's no real need for the business to die or refer it to a committee?

You must not read what is said on page 489 in isolation. It refers you to (c) on page 237, and also to page 90, both of which make it clear that it is the expiration of the term of all or some of the board members that is the controlling factor.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.