The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaws vs Special Rules of Order in appointing committees

Calion

19 minutes ago, Calion said:

RONR P. 495 states that "The president cannot assume [the power to appoint committees] unless it is given to him by the bylaws…"

Can this be changed by a special rule of order? I.E. can a special rule of order give the president the power to appoint committees as a general rule?

No.  As noted, it requires a bylaw provision.

19 minutes ago, Calion said:

RONR P. 495 states that "The president cannot assume [the power to appoint committees] unless it is given to him by the bylaws…"

Can this be changed by a special rule of order? I.E. can a special rule of order give the president the power to appoint committees as a general rule?

I do not think the power to appoint committees can be conferred by virtue of a special rule of order.  However, as the text on page 495 notes, a motion to create a special committee adopted by the society can include a provision for the president to appoint the members.

20 hours ago, Calion said:

No, it clearly says "the bylaws, or by action of the assembly in the individual case."

Those are the only two options.  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.