The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recording a vote in the minutes that was approved but had non-approval votes

Guest Michelle

I am looking in the Robert's Rules of Order trying to find how to reflect in the minutes a motion that was passed but had 2 members vote nay for a board of directors meeting. I have:

Ms. Y motioned to approve...

Mr. X seconded;

Ms. A  and Ms. B voted nay.

8 in favor, 2 opposed, the motion was approved

The book does not provide details on this. Can you please help? My supervisor wants my minutes to align with the book's guidelines but there is no clarification.

Thank you,

Michelle

8 minutes ago, Guest Michelle said:

I am looking in the Robert's Rules of Order trying to find how to reflect in the minutes a motion that was passed but had 2 members vote nay for a board of directors meeting. I have:

Ms. Y motioned to approve...

Mr. X seconded;

Ms. A  and Ms. B voted nay.

8 in favor, 2 opposed, the motion was approved

The book does not provide details on this. Can you please help? My supervisor wants my minutes to align with the book's guidelines but there is no clarification.

Thank you,

Michelle

If the vote was not counted:  "Ms. Y moved to approve ______________.  The motion was adopted."

If the vote was counted:  "Ms. Y moved to approve ______________.  There were 8 votes in favor and 2 opposed and the motion was adopted."

The fact that the motion was not seconded is not recorded and how Ms. A and Ms. B is not recorded at all.  The only time to record how the members voted is when a vote is taken by roll call.

See §48. MINUTES AND REPORTS OF OFFICERS beginning on p. 468 in RONR (11th ed.).

Edited by George Mervosh

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.