The Official RONR Q & A Forums

John Stackpole

Weldon Merritt

My apology if someone already posted this and I missed it, but I recently learned at the AIP West Coast Practicum that John Stackpole died last Sunday, January 12. As I understand, he had recently been disgnosed with pancreatic cancer.

I know that Dr. Stackpole's contributions to this forum will be sorely missed.

16 minutes ago, Weldon Merritt said:

My apology if someone already posted this and I missed it, but I recently learned at the AIP West Coast Practicum that John Stackpole died last Sunday, January 12. As I understand, he had recently been disgnosed with pancreatic cancer.

Very sorry to hear that. Thank you for letting us know.

Thank you, Shmuel.  I am very sorry to hear of his passing.   I have always been particularly fond of Dr. Stackpole.  I have admired him since my days on the "old" forum 20 years or so ago back in the late 90's and early 2000's.  My first NAP convention was the 2003 Convention in San Antonio, where I shared a room with another of our recently departed contributors, Gary Tesser.   Meeting Dr. Stackpole at that convention and getting to spend time with him was one of the highlights of the convention and something I had most looked forward to.  Getting to know Gary Tesser and George Mervosh, who were also very active on the old forum, were probably the other two highlights for me at that convention.  I will miss Dr. Stackpole's regular lectures about the problems with "co-anythings"!

On 1/18/2020 at 6:46 PM, Weldon Merritt said:

Very much so.

John Stackpole is someone I have known and greatly admired for a long time, going all the way back to my days of activity in Maryland's Association of Parliamentarians. In the very early days of this Forum when, as its only active Moderator, I tended to be overly strict in enforcing its rules relating to posts deemed to be irrelevant, erroneous or misleading, John took to warning posters about what he called the "Wrath of Dan." As a consequence, he's the guy responsible for that thing (whatever it's called) that appears at the bottom of all of my posts.

He will, indeed, be sorely missed, and richly deserves his place in this Forum's Hall of Fame.

3 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

John took to warning posters about what he called the "Wrath of Dan."

Thanks for sharing that story.

I only had the pleasure of meeting him once, at an AIP practicum. He was immensely knowledgeable, very happy to teach and share that knowledge, and a very nice man.

3 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

deserves his place in this Forum's Hall of Fame.

I am sure his name will be invoked every time a questioner asks about electing co-anything.

• 4 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.