The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recording reconsidered and amended motions

Vickie Fisher

Hi all.  I'm new and apologize in advance for any bloopers.

I need help in recording a complex (in my mind) series of acts relative to a motion.  An example:

Two day Board of Directors Meeting.

Day 1:  Motion by X and second by Y (we record second) to paint the barn red.  Passes 13-1

Day 2:  Motion by A and second by C to reconsider the motion by X/Y from the prior day to paint the barn red.

*The motion to reconsider passes 10-4

After discussion, the original motion is amended to include that the barn must be painted red by May l.

How do I state this series of actions in the Minutes??

Thanks,

3 hours ago, Vickie Fisher said:

Hi all.  I'm new and apologize in advance for any bloopers.

I need help in recording a complex (in my mind) series of acts relative to a motion.  An example:

Two day Board of Directors Meeting.

Day 1:  Motion by X and second by Y (we record second) to paint the barn red.  Passes 13-1

Day 2:  Motion by A and second by C to reconsider the motion by X/Y from the prior day to paint the barn red.

*The motion to reconsider passes 10-4

After discussion, the original motion is amended to include that the barn must be painted red by May l.

How do I state this series of actions in the Minutes??

I would recommend something like the following.

The relevant section of the minutes for the meeting on Day 1 would read:

Mr. X moved, and Mr. Y seconded, "to paint the barn red.” The motion was adopted by a vote of 13 in the affirmative and 1 in the negative.

The relevant section of the minutes for the meeting on Day 2 would read:

The adopted motion “to paint the barn red” was reconsidered. After debate and amendment, the motion “to paint the barn red by May 1st” was adopted.

Edited by Josh Martin

12 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

I would recommend something like the following.

The relevant section of the minutes for the meeting on Day 1 would read:

Mr. X moved, and Mr. Y seconded, "to paint the barn red.” The motion was adopted by a vote of 13 in the affirmative and 1 in the negative.

The relevant section of the minutes for the meeting on Day 2 would read:

The adopted motion “to paint the barn red” was reconsidered. After debate and amendment, the motion “to paint the barn red by May 1st” was adopted.

Thanks much.  So to be clear, there is no need to record the motion and vote to reconsider or the motion and vote for the amendment.  

29 minutes ago, Vickie Fisher said:

Thanks much.  So to be clear, there is no need to record the motion and vote to reconsider or the motion and vote for the amendment.  

I’m not so sure. I gave a lot of thought to that statement by Mr. Martin last night and even spent some time researching it. I am still unsure, although Mr. Martin may indeed be technically correct. The motion to reconsider is classed as a  “bring back motion”, which is not always a main motion. RONR says that all main motions which are not withdrawn should be recorded in the minutes.

if I were the secretary, I would state that “a motion to reconsider the motion to paint the barn red from January XX was made by John Smith and seconded by Jack Jones. The motion to reconsider was adopted. (Edited to remove the vote count)

From there I would proceed as Mr. Martin suggested.

When it is time to approve the minutes, the assembly could approve the minutes as you prepared  them or could order a correction so that they read the way Mr. Martin suggested.

Edited by Richard Brown
Typographical corrections and removed the vote count.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.