The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Abstentions/Ettiquette

Guest Steve

I am on a committee of 10 that oversees a religious non profit. A member was reporting on a hiring recommendation and after presenting, said that myself and another board member needed to abstain because of conflicts of interest. (The applicant is a relative of mine through marriage). Now, I had every intention of doing this from the beginning, but my question is: was it appropriate for that member to state openly in the meeting that I NEEDED to do this?  I’ve never seen this approach taken, and was mildly offended. 

RONR does not have rules prohibiting, or even advising, that a member of a committee should abstain on account of a perceived "conflict of interest" by way of a relationship of affinity. Unless your religious organization has its own rules to the contrary, I would encourage you to vote your best judgment right along with the other members.

I, too, am mildly offended that your colleague had the audacity to suggest in a meeting that someone else should abstain. That had to have been embarrassing. You may tell that person for me to stick to his own knitting.

3 hours ago, Rob Elsman said:

RONR does not have rules prohibiting, or even advising, that a member of a committee should abstain on account of a perceived "conflict of interest" by way of a relationship of affinity.

Though depending on the relationship between the Guest Steve and applicant it might constitute a personal interest not in common with the other Committee members.  In that case Guest Steve probably shouldn't vote but as was mentioned above he can't be compelled to abstain and the decision whether this uncommon personal interest exists belongs to him not the other member.

On 2/18/2020 at 8:44 AM, Guest Steve said:

I am on a committee of 10 that oversees a religious non profit. A member was reporting on a hiring recommendation and after presenting, said that myself and another board member needed to abstain because of conflicts of interest. (The applicant is a relative of mine through marriage). Now, I had every intention of doing this from the beginning, but my question is: was it appropriate for that member to state openly in the meeting that I NEEDED to do this?  I’ve never seen this approach taken, and was mildly offended. 

As well you should be.   It's bad enough to be presumptuous, but it's particularly irksome to be wrong as well.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.