The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Do staff reports need Board approval

Laura Kelley

Hey all. We are a midsize nonprofit and currently use a consent calendar for approval of minutes, staff reports and routine business items. We have a new board chair this year and he doesn't understand the consent calendar. He brought up the point if staff reports actually need board approval. I have searched without finding much information. Please advise. 

4 minutes ago, Laura Kelley said:

Hey all. We are a midsize nonprofit and currently use a consent calendar for approval of minutes, staff reports and routine business items. We have a new board chair this year and he doesn't understand the consent calendar. He brought up the point if staff reports actually need board approval. I have searched without finding much information. Please advise. 

Reports of any kind do not need board approval (unless the intent is to adopt the report in its entirety as an official document of the society, which might be done if, for instance, the report is to be published in the society’s name). If the report is for information only, no action by the board is required, and the report is simply placed on file. If the report contains recommendations, one or motions should be made to implement those recommendations, and it is those motions which are approved.

So I would advise immediately ceasing the practice of placing the reports on the consent calendar.

Additionally, I would note that the board should adopt special rules of order governing the use of consent calendars, if it has not already done so.

6 minutes ago, Laura Kelley said:

Do the financial reports also fall into the category of not needing board approval? 

The report of the auditors (which is generally conducted annually) should be approved. Unaudited financial reports should never be approved. As with other reports, they are simply placed on file.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.