The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Conflicting Bylaws

Tomm

Per our Corporate Bylaws:

Article IV refers to the the General Membership of the corporation and states the rules for the Annual Membership Meetings.

Article V refers to the Board of Directors and the Meetings of the Board (held twice a month).

A motion was passed in a Board meeting and met the requirements to do so, but now they're (General manager of the org.) is saying the motion didn't pass because it didn't meet the 10 day previous notice requirement which is only stated in Article IV (membership Meetings). The Article V Meeting of the Board requirement is only a 7 day notice which was satisfied because it was posted on the organizations website a week ago when the reminder of the upcoming meeting was announced and a posting of the agenda was offered. The acceptance of this website notification is listed in the Boards Article V.  

Am I correct to challenge the decision because you can't apply the Bylaws of Article IV (Membership meetings) to an Article V Meeting of the Board. Aren't they two distinctly different assemblies governed by their specific Articles/rules?    

51 minutes ago, Tomm said:

But am I correct that the rules of an Article VI Membership Meeting are out of order to be applied to an Article V Meeting of the Board?

The Board meets again tomorrow and I want to ask for an explanation during the comment section.

Yes, I think it is correct that a rule concerning notice for membership meetings has no bearing on meetings of the board.

56 minutes ago, Tomm said:

But am I correct that the rules of an Article VI Membership Meeting are out of order to be applied to an Article V Meeting of the Board?

The Board meets again tomorrow and I want to ask for an explanation during the comment section.

Yes, that's how I would interpret it as well.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.