The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspend the rules

Angie N

Hello,

I'm seeking guidance on suspending the rules because our bylaws does not say we can have electronic meetings. I understand RONR would prohibit since it's not on our bylaws.

Would we be able to meet face to face in March for the sole purpose of suspending the rules? We do not have any provisions for special meetings in our bylaws either. Our bylaws say we meet once a month. They do not say when although our tradition is to meet every 4th Sunday. 

What can we do?  

9 minutes ago, Greg Goodwiller said:

You can amend your bylaws to authorize electronic meetings.

Thank for your response. Yes I  should have also added we are doing that. However with the covid-19 concerns we are trying to be proactive in the event we don' have quorum.  

My question is specific to if we can suspend the rules. 

8 hours ago, Angie N said:

Hello,

I'm seeking guidance on suspending the rules because our bylaws does not say we can have electronic meetings. I understand RONR would prohibit since it's not on our bylaws.

Would we be able to meet face to face in March for the sole purpose of suspending the rules? We do not have any provisions for special meetings in our bylaws either. Our bylaws say we meet once a month. They do not say when although our tradition is to meet every 4th Sunday. 

What can we do?  

The rule against electronic meetings cannot be suspended.  Neither can the rule against special meetings, except as the bylaws provide.

So you'll have to look to amending the bylaws as the way out of this.  Of course you'll need at least one meeting to do that, depending on your rules for amending the bylaws.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.