The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Access to Sign-in sheets

23 minutes ago, Mary Ellen Jones said:

Thank you for the quick reply.  I left my RONR at the office and am not supposed to go in!

RONR does not specifically address this question.

It says that members have the right to examine reports received from boards or committees that are placed on file, as well as the record books of the secretary containing the bylaws, special rules of order, standing rules, and minutes.

8 hours ago, Guest Access to Sign-in sheets said:

This organization as practice utilizes sign-in sheets.  Does a general member upon request have access to those sign-in sheets?

8 hours ago, Rob Elsman said:

Nothing in RONR would give an individual member of an assembly the right to access sign-in sheets; however, a member could make a motion that ordered the custodian of these records to produce them for reading to the assembly at a meeting.

I would think that a simple request would normally suffice. If the secretary refuses, a motion to grant you access might be required. I don’t think the provision in RONR re the assembly adopting a motion to read the minutes of an executive board meeting aloud to the membership is applicable here.

In addition, if this organization is incorporated, there might be an applicable statute providing that members have the right to inspect the records of the corporation. 

I would start with a simple request to the secretary. If the secretary refuses, go to the president. If you strike out there, then you may have to make a motion that you be granted access. I would take the position that the sign in sheets are records of the organization that the members are entitled to inspect. 

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last sentence

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.