The Official RONR Q & A Forums
smb

RONR friendly meeting software?

Many associations are now cancelling or postponing their annual meetings -- while others are trying online meeting software like gotomeeting or zoom.  Those can  work for small boards and committees -- but are they practical for a meeting with several hundred members or more?  gotomeeting and zoom can handle basic agenda, giving reports, even making main motions.  They break down with debate, amendments, and anything having to do with order of precedence.  Assuming governing documents or state laws permit electronic meetings, is anyone familiar with any software that can accommodate those intricacies?  Not looking for perfection, just a fighting chance.

We have had good experiences with gotomeeting. We have handled order of precedence with the status functions. For instance, if you have a privileged motion, you choose the rabbit status. I'm not sure why they would break down with amendments. 

I participated in a small meeting (20–30 people) with Zoom, which worked decently well. One person is empowered as the host (probably the usual presiding officer), who can mute members to ensure that those who have the floor are speaking. At my meeting, the presiding officer asked members to place a single character in the chat window to seek the floor, though there is also a Raise Hand function that can be used for this purpose.

Your assembly would need to establish conventions for business that can interrupt a speaker; simply having a member say "Mr. Chairman" doesn't work as well because it is difficult to hear more than one speaker at a time. Voice votes don't work as well for the same reason, and in a large assembly rising votes will not work because the presiding officer cannot see all members at once.

Thx both.  I've worked with both products in small meeting situations -- gotomeeting is probably the more robust of the two.  I'll continue my exploration and repost if I find anything worth sharing.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.