The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is this allowable?

Tomm

Our Recreation Center Corporation is in shut-down with no open facilities or meetings, and no provisions in the Bylaws to allow them. I want to propose that they amend the Bylaws to allow for electronic meetings in accordance with RONR.

I'm going to suggest that someone, or several Board members propose a draft amendment which can then be bounced back and forth among the Board members via e-mail until everybody is in agreement, then call a Special Session, met in person, keeping their distance, and pass the amendment.

Does passing the draft Amendment around via e-mail violate RONR assuming no one actually votes on the Amendment but merely agrees with its text?

1 hour ago, Tomm said:

Our Recreation Center Corporation is in shut-down with no open facilities or meetings, and no provisions in the Bylaws to allow them. I want to propose that they amend the Bylaws to allow for electronic meetings in accordance with RONR.

I'm going to suggest that someone, or several Board members propose a draft amendment which can then be bounced back and forth among the Board members via e-mail until everybody is in agreement, then call a Special Session, met in person, keeping their distance, and pass the amendment.

Does passing the draft Amendment around via e-mail violate RONR assuming no one actually votes on the Amendment but merely agrees with its text?

No, it doesn't, but a board with the power to amend the bylaws is a little unusual.  Still, if that's what your bylaws say, you're good.

3 hours ago, Tomm said:

3 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

No.

2 hours ago, Tomm said:

What's the violation if it's not voted on? Couldn't it simply be considered an informal discussion among members not unlike what happens at actual meetings when members sorta talk and choose sides before the meeting actual starts?

I believe Mr. Martin was answering your question and saying, "No, it does not violate RONR."

The informal discussion can, as you say, allow people to "choose sides."
More optimistically, it can allow people to arrive at a version that everyone can agree to support.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.