The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion

Brett02

41 minutes ago, Tom Coronite said:

In addition to what Mr. Katz has explained, if you believe most others are also against it, you could move to adopt the item. If your belief is correct, it will be defeated.

This would be highly unusual. RONR acknowledges the possibility that the seconder might make a motion because he wishes the assembly to go on record as defeating it, but it is assumed that the motion maker is in support of the motion. The rules even prohibit the motion maker from speaking against the motion.

Depending on the specific nature of the motion, it might be possible to reword the motion so that instead of saying "not approve" it said "oppose" instead. If the motion is regarding taking a position on an issue, to "oppose" the issue would be a position the council could take as well. For other motions (spending money, for instance), this probably wouldn't make sense. In those cases (or if the motion could be reworded so as to "oppose" the issue, but the council prefers to simply take no position), I agree with Mr. Katz that the proper solution, so far as RONR is concerned, is to simply move on.

The one caveat I would add is that public bodies sometimes have strange rules requiring certain proposals to be formally approved or denied, so the council may wish to consult with its attorney as well.

Edited by Josh Martin

3 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

The one caveat I would add is that public bodies sometimes have strange rules requiring certain proposals to be formally approved or denied, so the council may wish to consult with its attorney as well.

Good point. This is typically the rule, for instance, in land use issues. It's always fun when the board manages to vote down both motions and we have to stare at each other and try again.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.