The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Becoming a Parliamentarian

Guest Hsiegling

1 hour ago, Guest Hsiegling said:

Where does one begin the process of becoming a parliamentarian - if that is the correct term?  Thank you ahead of time for your insights!

LOL!!  Here is a copy and paste of a response I just made in the thread about "General Presiding Advice":

For information on learning parliamentary procedure and joining a state association or local unit, I suggest you start by contacting the two national parliamentary organizations.  Those are the National Association of Parliamentarians (NAP)  and the American Institute of Parliamentarians (AIP).   The NAP website is www.parliamentarians.org.  The AIP website is www.aipparl.org.

The NAP is the larger of the two, with state associations and local units, but both are excellent organizations with a lot to offer.  To find out about your NAP state association and whether there are any local units in your area, go to their website, click on the "about" tab at the top of the page, then scroll down and click on "NAP in your area".    Both organizations have "bookstores" and you can also call both organizations for more information.  They will be very helpful.  Keep in mind that during the COVID-19 pandemic, many personnel and officers are working from home and you may have to leave a message and ask for a callback.

If you have follow up questions, such as which books we recommend, just ask.  You might also follow the other thread I mentioned, which can be found here:  https://robertsrules.forumflash.com/topic/35378-general-presiding-advice/

Edited to add:  My first advice is actually to become a member of this forum.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Agreeing with Mr. Brown, here was my personal path. I had, of course, been active in organizations using RONR. First, I read RONR. Then I took the membership exam (and struggled with parts because it didn't allow for nuance). Then I read RONR again, this time following the references as they came up and jumping around the book, and took the RP exam. Since then, I've felt ready for a while to do PRP, but have not found the time to attend a class. I signed up for one and almost made it, but something came up at work and I had to cancel. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.