The Official RONR Q & A Forums

General presiding advice

Alex Meed

I am unsure if a thread of this nature exists and was unable to locate one through about fifteen seconds of using the search bar, so please point me to such a thread if it exists.

I have read the hints to inexperienced presiding officers in RONR (11th ed.), pp. 454–56. I'm curious as to what further insights you may have, however, into what makes a skilled presiding officer. Most of my involvement in deliberative assemblies is in amateur assemblies with only occasional business, minimal grounding in parliamentary law, and bylaws that may be charitably described as eccentric, so I'm particularly interested in suggestions to keep such a meeting running smoothly and by the book. That being said, I do anticipate being involved in assemblies with fewer of those characteristics, though most likely not as chairman or parliamentarian for quite a while.

Alex, for information on learning parliamentary procedure and joining a state association or local unit, I suggest you start by contacting the two national parliamentary organizations.  Those are the National Association of Parliamentarians (NAP)  and the American Institute of Parliamentarians (AIP).   The NAP website is www.parliamentarians.org.  The AIP website is www.aipparl.org.

The NAP is the larger of the two, with state associations and local units, but both are excellent organizations with a lot to offer.  To find out about your NAP state association and whether there are any local units in your area, go to their website, click on the "about" tab at the top of the page, then scroll down and click on "NAP in your area".    Both organizations have "bookstores" and you can also call both organizations for more information.  They will be very helpful.  Keep in mind that during the COVID-19 pandemic, many personnel and officers are working from home and you may have to leave a message and ask for a callback.

If you have follow up questions, just ask.

Edited to add:  One of the best ways to acquire  presiding skills can be through joining and participating in a local unit.... and practice!  Most state associations and local units have workshops on a variety of topics, including presiding skills. 

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Well, one good way is to read the questions and responses on this forum. Over time, you will encounter all kinds of unfortunate situations that could have been avoided had the presiding officer been more skilled in the parliamentary procedure found in RONR.

Think of this forum as an emergency room, and you are the newbie intern doing his residency. Are you prepared to meet the challenges?

Well, more like an urgent care clinic than an emergency department, I'd say. 🙂

But where the analogy to medicine does work is found in Sir William Osler's quote, "He who studies medicine without books sails an uncharted sea, but he who studies medicine without patients does not go to sea at all."

Read.
Learn from others, including this forum but also the organizations Mr. Brown has mentioned.
Live it and Practice it.

4 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

Alex, for information on learning parliamentary procedure and joining a state association or local unit, I suggest you start by contacting the two national parliamentary organizations.  Those are the National Association of Parliamentarians (NAP)  and the American Institute of Parliamentarians (AIP).   The NAP website is www.parliamentarians.org.  The AIP website is www.aipparl.org.

The NAP is the larger of the two, with state associations and local units, but both are excellent organizations with a lot to offer.  To find out about your NAP state association and whether there are any local units in your area, go to their website, click on the "about" tab at the top of the page, then scroll down and click on "NAP in your area".    Both organizations have "bookstores" and you can also call both organizations for more information.  They will be very helpful.  Keep in mind that during the COVID-19 pandemic, many personnel and officers are working from home and you may have to leave a message and ask for a callback.

I'd been planning on joining my local NAP unit for a while, but its meetings were on the same day as the meetings of the society of which I'm finishing my term as president. And then the pandemic happened. It's definitely on my list for when life starts back up, though.

4 hours ago, Rob Elsman said:

Well, one good way is to read the questions and responses on this forum. Over time, you will encounter all kinds of unfortunate situations that could have been avoided had the presiding officer been more skilled in the parliamentary procedure found in RONR.

Think of this forum as an emergency room, and you are the newbie intern doing his residency. Are you prepared to meet the challenges?

Well, given that I'm often the one hauling the screaming patients into the lobby, I'd say the answer is a big fat "no." 😂

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.