The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Making and seconding motions

Guest CWSchmitt

27 minutes ago, Guest CWSchmitt said:

If there is a committee (10 voting members and 8 non-voting members), who is allowed to make a motion or second a motion (only voting members)?

I am less certain than Mr. Elsman that the "non-voting members" do not have the right to make motions. This is a question which will depend upon the precise wording of the organization's rules on this matter. In the long run, it would be best to clarify the society's rules on this matter (or better yet, to get rid of "non-voting members" and simply invite these persons to attend and speak at the committee's discretion).

In any event, I would add that seconds are not required in a committee, unless the parent assembly has instructed the committee otherwise.

Edited by Josh Martin

20 hours ago, Guest CWSchmitt said:

If there is a committee (10 voting members and 8 non-voting members), who is allowed to make a motion or second a motion (only voting members)?

I agree with Mr. Martin.  A determination of whether those non-voting members may make motions depends upon an interpretation of the exact language used in your bylaws.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.