The Official RONR Q & A Forums

No Motion Made

Guest Guest

If no motion is made on a business item on the approved agenda, what is the appropriate way to reflect this in the minutes?  For clarity, the Board reached that item on the agenda, the Chair stated that it was the next item on the agenda, but no motion was made, and the meeting proceeded onto the next item.  Thank you in advance.

I may be reading too much into the words "should not," but I don't have a problem if the society wishes to adopt an agenda instead of following the standard order of business.

If this is a regular meeting within a quarterly time interval, then they do not need to approve an agenda because the standard order of business is in their parliamentary authority, but I wouldn't say they should not adopt an agenda like I would say you should not take hydroxychloroquine.

4 minutes ago, Atul Kapur said:

I may be reading too much into the words "should not," but I don't have a problem if the society wishes to adopt an agenda instead of following the standard order of business.

But if the standard order of business is applicable to their meetings a majority vote to adopt it won't be enough if it conflicts with that standard order:

" At a session that already has an order of business, an agenda can be adopted by a majority vote only if it does not create any special orders and does not conflict with the existing order of business; otherwise, a two-thirds vote is required (see also p. 264, ll. 14–28). "  RONR (11th ed.), p. 372

I agree with Mr. Elsman's reply in the general case.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.