The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee Recommendations

Guest Guest

I am the chair of a committee, and I have prepared a proposed procedures manual to compliment our organization's bylaws.  It is 75 pages.  I sent it to the general body to review for 30 days and asked that any proposed amendments/ question or concern be submitted in writing by a deadline due to it being such a lengthy document -and because the body would have to vote to approve it at the next meeting.  A few proposed amendments have been submitted which the committee supports and will recommend for vote along with the original proposed manual.  My question is at the general body meeting, must I orally present the entire document again and entertain questions/proposed amendments from the body again at this meeting prior to voting.  Or can I just present the newly proposed amendments received during the review period, entertain questions related to those newly presented amendments,  and then recommend the original as amended for a vote?  

Assuming that this procedures manual falls under your committee's purview, you should be able  to present the proposed amendments to your committee for them to decide whether to incorporate them into the final form of the manual to be presented to the general body for their consideration. As for your presentation of this manual to the general body, it would certainly make things a lot easier if you provided written copies to the assembly, even better if you can provide them before the meeting if possible. A 75 page document is very likely too much to be presented orally, especially if the body hasn't had chance to see it beforehand.

Once you o present it and move its adoption, it will be  open to amendment by the general body. If there are any amendments that were proposed during the initial review that your committee decided not to incorporate into the manual, they could be proposed again at this time. 

26 minutes ago, Bruce Lages said:

Assuming that this procedures manual falls under your committee's purview, you should be able  to present the proposed amendments to your committee for them to decide whether to incorporate them into the final form of the manual to be presented to the general body for their consideration. As for your presentation of this manual to the general body, it would certainly make things a lot easier if you provided written copies to the assembly, even better if you can provide them before the meeting if possible. A 75 page document is very likely too much to be presented orally, especially if the body hasn't had chance to see it beforehand.

Once you o present it and move its adoption, it will be  open to amendment by the general body. If there are any amendments that were proposed during the initial review that your committee decided not to incorporate into the manual, they could be proposed again at this time. 

thank you 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.