The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Standing Committees

Tomm

16 minutes ago, Tomm said:

Are Standing Committees required to function under the auspices of the parent organization?

Yes.

16 minutes ago, Tomm said:

In other words, can a Standing Committee vote by e-mail or hold electronic meetings if the Bylaws from the parent organization don't allow it?

Maybe.

"As in the case of a board or any assembly, committees that are expressly established by the bylaws can hold a valid electronic meeting only if authorized in the bylaws to do so. A committee that is not expressly established by the bylaws, however, may instead be authorized by a standing rule of the parent body or organization, or by the motion establishing the particular committee, to hold electronic meetings." (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 98)

Additionally, the following may provide an option for a committee which is not authorized to meet electronically:

"In the case of a committee, however, if it is impractical to bring its members together for a meeting, the report of the committee can contain what has been agreed to by every one of its members." (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 503)

Edited by Josh Martin

• 1 year later...

what is the appropriate wording to use for a bylaw change to establish that standing committee and special committee members may be any member who is willing to join from the membership?  the committee should not be appointed by the president unless specified.

1 hour ago, Guest father time said:

what is the appropriate wording to use for a bylaw change to establish that standing committee and special committee members may be any member who is willing to join from the membership?  the committee should not be appointed by the president unless specified.

I question the wisdom of such a provision, but if the organization is bound and determined to have it, how about this wording:

"Unless otherwise provided in these bylaws, the membership of each committee shall consist of all members of [name of organization] who wish to serve on the committee. Each such committee shall select its onw chair."

Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion, but that's my shot at it.

Guest Father Time, I agree with Mr. Merritt’s response, but would suggest to you that it is best to ask new questions by starting a new topic. Your question is really not related to the topic of this thread started by member Tomm.  In addition, this thread is over one year old. The custom on this forum and the preferred method is to ask a new question by starting a new topic even if it seems that the topics might be related.

12 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

The custom on this forum and the preferred method is to ask a new question by starting a new topic even if it seems that the topics might be related.

Indeed. And I somehow missed that this was an old thread, or I would have advised Father Time to start a new thread. 

Thank you both- duly noted on protocol.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.