The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Undefined job description in bylaws

Guest AGB

Our committee bylaws states the committee leadership consists of the chairman, vice-chairman, secretary, treasurer, and position for the president of other club in our area.  Our bylaws state the voting body of the committee is required to elect candidates to these positions.  However, the duties and accountability requirements for the club president position are not define anywhere within the body of the committee bylaws.  The position is quite confusing as to what this individual is supposed to do.  This position was put in the bylaws before I was elected chairman, and the intent is not clear.  As we are coming up on a reorganization meeting shortly I am struggling with the following question - should I include this position on the election ballot or recommend the election for the club position be postponed until further clarified?  I am inclined to postpone the election of this position as it appears to be in conflict with RONR 11th ed., and commit the question to the executive board of our committee.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

AGB

4 hours ago, Guest AGB said:

As we are coming up on a reorganization meeting shortly I am struggling with the following question - should I include this position on the election ballot or recommend the election for the club position be postponed until further clarified?

The former. If your bylaws provide that this position needs to be elected, it needs to be elected. Clarifying the bylaws with regards to this position is a good idea, but you're stuck with the position as-is until that happens.

4 hours ago, Guest AGB said:

I am inclined to postpone the election of this position as it appears to be in conflict with RONR 11th ed., and commit the question to the executive board of our committee.

I am not clear in what manner you think "the election of this position... appears to be in conflict with RONR 11th ed," but even to the extent that this was correct, it would be irrelevant. Your bylaws take precedence over RONR.

Committing the question of this position's job description to the executive board is fine, but you'll still need to elect the position in the meantime.

Perhaps look for a candidate for the position who has a vision for what the position should be. Then making recommendations for what his job is can be his first task. :)

Why do you think you can decide/elect who will be "the president of other club in our area"? This sounds like an ex-officio position: whoever is the president of the other club in your area is a member of your leadership group. I assume that there is another club in your area (or, at least, that there was when this was added to your bylaws).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.