The Official RONR Q & A Forums

AGM Standing Rules - Special Rules of Order

TBear76

Hi everyone, I appreciate any help I can get on this... I understand the process for creating organizational Special Rules of Order to be contained as a special addendum in a society's bylaws. I also recognize that RONR has a process for creating Standing Rules for a convention. These require 2/3 vote at the start of the Convention and as RONR indicates... these usually are coming from a Committee on Standing Rules. 

For a one meeting AGM of a society that has RONR authorized in its bylaws that wants to adopt a set of rules to speed up the AGM (limit debate, instruct on electronic meeting rules, clarify assignment of the floor, etc.) would these be called Special Rules of Order... Standing Rules... or something different? That is question one... what would you call these?

Also I am thinking that the advice in RONR about Standing Rules of a convention would apply (2/3 to adopt, cannot be seriatim, member can ask for indy rule to be pulled out for vote).  Would you agree these rules for a convention Standing Rules would apply to these rules? 

1 minute ago, TBear76 said:

Hi everyone, I appreciate any help I can get on this... I understand the process for creating organizational Special Rules of Order to be contained as a special addendum in a society's bylaws. I also recognize that RONR has a process for creating Standing Rules for a convention. These require 2/3 vote at the start of the Convention and as RONR indicates... these usually are coming from a Committee on Standing Rules. 

For a one meeting AGM of a society that has RONR authorized in its bylaws that wants to adopt a set of rules to speed up the AGM (limit debate, instruct on electronic meeting rules, clarify assignment of the floor, etc.) would these be called Special Rules of Order... Standing Rules... or something different? That is question one... what would you call these?

Also I am thinking that the advice in RONR about Standing Rules of a convention would apply (2/3 to adopt, cannot be seriatim, member can ask for indy rule to be pulled out for vote).  Would you agree these rules for a convention Standing Rules would apply to these rules? 

I'd call them "Standing Rules for the XYZ Society's 2020 AGM" (or some such thing), and yes, the rules in RONR relating to standing rules of a convention would apply, as you assume to be the case.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.