The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Support of a pledge

Guest Sheri

I am a University Parliamentarian.  We have a request to support a Pledge, to be signed by faculty members.  My question, where does a Pledge fit into Robert's Rules?  Would it be better to have a resolution, or even a resolution to support a pledge.

Thanks for your input.

3 minutes ago, Guest Sheri said:

I am a University Parliamentarian.  We have a request to support a Pledge, to be signed by faculty members.  My question, where does a Pledge fit into Robert's Rules?  Would it be better to have a resolution, or even a resolution to support a pledge.

Thanks for your input.

RONR makes no mention of a pledge, but if a deliberative assembly wants to go on record as supporting it, it certainly can adopt a motion to do so.

The proposition can be brought before the assembly by a main motion, with or without a formal resolution, whichever is the custom in that body.  The motion would require a second; it would be both amendable as to any variable words or paragraphs and debatable; and it would require a majority vote for adoption.  Because calling for a negative vote might be terribly embarrassing for the voters, it might be better not to call for the negative with a voice vote; otherwise, use a method of voting that would not be so embarrassing.

Whether to draft a formal resolution or just make a motion orally without a resolution depends on the customs of the assembly; the desirability of formality; or whether the proposition will be published in a public way.

29 minutes ago, Rob Elsman said:

Because calling for a negative vote might be terribly embarrassing for the voters, it might be better not to call for the negative with a voice vote; otherwise, use a method of voting that would not be so embarrassing.

I don’t know that I would be so quick to say they should not call for the negative vote. The way I read the original post, the poster wants the organization to determine whether it will support the pledge. I think taking the negative vote might be essential in making that determination.  I’m not convinced this is the type courtesy resolution where the negative vote is not taken.

More information might be helpful. 

13 hours ago, Rob Elsman said:

Because calling for a negative vote might be terribly embarrassing for the voters, it might be better not to call for the negative with a voice vote; otherwise, use a method of voting that would not be so embarrassing.

The only option that I can think of that would avoid possible embarrassment would be a ballot. Is that what you're suggesting?

I'm not sure why this particular motion would be embarrassing to oppose, though.

Reading the OP again, I believe that the motion could simply be that the assembly support the Pledge. The pledge could be in the body of the motion, or the resolution, but by adopting the motion, the members are not making the pledge themselves. Each individual faculty member would take the Pledge separately from the motion.

Edited by Atul Kapur
Added underlined paragraph

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.