The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Start times/dates of meetings held across different time zones

Guest John Harnett

Pick one thst makes sense. Options include:

Where is the headquarters of the association? Use that time zone.

Where is the presiding officer located? Use that time zone.

If it's worldwide, consider using Universal Coordinated Time (UTC), which has the benefit of not having to figure out whether a particular time zone is on Daylight Savings Time (aka "Summer Time") or not.

Edited by Atul Kapur

4 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

Yes. 

Well, I'll leave this comment here and you can decide whether it's smart, stupid, irrelevant, or just pedantic:

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/us/arizona-no-dst.html

“There is a common misconception that Arizona is on Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) during the summer and on Mountain Standard Time (MST) during the winter. Because MST and PDT have the same UTC offset of minus 7 hours (UTC-7), Arizona has the same local time as neighboring states California and Nevada during the summer season.

“Although the time is the same, Arizona uses standard time (MST) all year. “Daylight” time zones, such as MDT, are mostly used for areas that switch to DST every year.”

Fair enough. In practice, about half the time people set up appointments with me during DST, they write something like "EST" and I don't know if they're just wrong or if they modified it on purpose. Also, Zoom and Google calendars do not seem to allow me to specify MST when DST is in effect, requiring me to pretend to be on Pacific Daylight Time. But yes, you are correct, of course. Gut shabbos.

Zoom has Arizona as a separate option when I'm choosing a Time Zone to schedule a meeting. Windows also recognizes Arizona.

Canadian content: They both also recognize Saskatchewan as a separate time zone
(SK stays on Central Standard Time year-round, so = CST or MDT).

1 hour ago, Joshua Katz said:

Gut shabbos

Gut shabbos to you, as well. I assume that hasn't started for you as yet, but I guess that depends on what time it is. 😀

And I hope the situation in Arizona with the outbreak is sparing you and yours.

Edited by Atul Kapur

3 minutes ago, Atul Kapur said:

Gut shabbos to you, as well. I assume that hasn't started for you as yet, but I guess that depends on what time it is. 😀

And I hope the situation in Arizona with the outbreak is sparing you and yours.

Thank you, you too. No, but we'll hold services before sunset, in about 5 minutes, so that we can use Zoom. It is something to behold - people who stayed home for months with 5k cases now refuse to wear masks with 30k cases. Such is life.

4 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

people who stayed home for months with 5k cases now refuse to wear masks with 30k cases. Such is life.

As an emergency physician, I tell them that if they don't like a mask, they really won't like a breathing tube and ventilator. [non-RONR digression over]

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.