The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reserving the right to object

Alex Meed

In the U.S. Senate, a senator may seek the floor when a unanimous consent request is put to the body, begin "Mr. (Madam) President, reserving the right to object," and then wax poetic about the unanimous consent request, possibly choosing to object at the end.

RONR allows a member to reserve a point of order against a motion, but can a member reserve an objection? Or is there any device by which a member may give a speech, or engage in a short colloquy with the requestor of a unanimous consent request, before deciding whether to object?

27 minutes ago, Alex M. said:

RONR allows a member to reserve a point of order against a motion, but can a member reserve an objection? Or is there any device by which a member may give a speech, or engage in a short colloquy with the requestor of a unanimous consent request, before deciding whether to object?

Yes.

"If a member is uncertain of the effect of an action proposed for unanimous consent, he can call out, "I reserve the right to object," or, "Reserving the right to object, ..." After brief consultation he can then object or withdraw his reservation." (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 55)

1 minute ago, Josh Martin said:

Yes.

"If a member is uncertain of the effect of an action proposed for unanimous consent, he can call out, "I reserve the right to object," or, "Reserving the right to object, ..." After brief consultation he can then object or withdraw his reservation." (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 55)

Ah, I missed that when I read the book last summer. Thanks.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.