The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Council & Committees

Guest Chris

Hello,

We have a church council and also committees.  If a committee brings a motion to a business meeting does it need to be second?  Its my understanding if a motion comes from council it does not need a second. (Example: council motion, discussion, and then vote)

Should committees bring idea's back to council and then present at business meeting?

Thanks for any help!!! 

24 minutes ago, Guest Chris said:

If a committee brings a motion to a business meeting does it need to be second?

No (assuming the reporting member is a member of the assembly and the committee consists of more than one person, both of which are generally the case).

24 minutes ago, Guest Chris said:

Should committees bring idea's back to council and then present at business meeting?

Well, I would first note that the term "business meeting" in this context is a little ambiguous, because the meetings of the church council and of committees are also business meetings. My understanding, however, is that by "business meeting" you mean a business meeting of the general membership of the church.

In any event, it depends on whose committee this is. If this is a committee of the general membership of the church, then the committee reports to the general membership of the church. The committee is free to bring its ideas to the council prior to reporting to the general membership if the committee wishes, but the committee is under no obligation to do so.

If, on the other hand, this is a committee of the council, the committee would report to the council which would, in turn, report to the membership.

Edited by Josh Martin

Agreeing with Mr. Martin, it would be helpful if Guest Chris would let us know if he is indeed referring to a third type meeting that he did not specifically reference, that is, a meeting of the church membership itself.   I could not tell from his post whether that is the case or if the "church council" is the highest body he is referencing.  Guest Chris, when discussing meetings, it is important to reference which body is meeting.   When you refer to a "business meeting", we don't know if it is a business meeting of a committee, of the church council, of the church membership, or of some other body.  Those distinctions are important.

Hopefully, the answer by Mr.Martin adequately covered those alternatives.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.