The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Glenda B

At the June meeting a motion was placed to pay an assessment on or before September 19th.  September 19th is the first meeting of the Fall and there are no meetings in July and August.  At the meeting in September a group of members want to bring an amend something previously adopted to change the date to later in the year.  Some of the membership would have already paid the assessment because of the due date and now some of the members what to change it on the same day it's due. Is the September date too late to make any changes to the motion adopted in June?

28 minutes ago, Guest Glenda B said:

At the June meeting a motion was placed to pay an assessment on or before September 19th.  September 19th is the first meeting of the Fall and there are no meetings in July and August.  At the meeting in September a group of members want to bring an amend something previously adopted to change the date to later in the year.  Some of the membership would have already paid the assessment because of the due date and now some of the members what to change it on the same day it's due. Is the September date too late to make any changes to the motion adopted in June?

I don't think it's too late but even if you think it is, why couldn't they adopt a new motion to grant an extension?

Mr. Mervosh, I think the "new motion" you speak of is a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted".  I get the impression that you think it would be an ordinary main motion.  I have little to go on--am I misinterpreting your intention?

Edited by Rob Elsman

7 minutes ago, Rob Elsman said:

Mr. Mervosh, I think the "new motion" you speak of is a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted".  I get the impression that you think it would be an ordinary main motion.  I have little to go on--am I misinterpreting your intention?

I think it is a motion to amend something previously adopted if it's taken up on the 19th, sure.  But what would be in order on the 20th if the meeting was held then and the members were in favor of granting additional time to those who had not paid?

Oh, what a good question!  I do not think I have ever thought of such a thing.  Since it still deals with the same "something", my best guess is that a motion to deal with members in arrears on the "something" assessment would also be a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted.

You may have just set me up to get a good paddling, George!  😄

First, I agree with Mr. Mervosh that a motion on the 19th would be in order and that this would be a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted (ASPA). The question of whether this rewards those who have not yet paid and whether this is fair to those who have already paid is an argument to be made in debate.

I don't have enough details to decide whether the original motion is still in force after the 19th. My inclination is that any motion as of the 20th would be a new one, rather than an ASPA.

The other important point that would need to be considered is how to handle anyone in arrears. A new motion should be explicit about forgiveness of any late fees or penalties that may have accumulated.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.