The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How does "early leaving" convention delegates affect quorum?

blk28

When a registered convention delegate leaves, with no intention of returning, assuming he checks out with the Credentials committee, does that reduce the number of delegates used for quorum? 

I'm inquiring about the effect on quorum of one or several convention delegates who attend a convention for only one of the agenda items, and then leave after that particular business has been completed.  The organization's bylaws do not address this situation.

My best guess is that it would reduce the number of "registered delegates" (the basis for determining quorum) but I can not find a definitive answer.  I looked in RONR and in Lena La Nelle Hardcastle's  "Parliamentary Law Rules and P:rocedures for Conducting Conventions" but I could have missed it.  And I am anticipating the need to answer this question in a few days. 

A precise answer would depend on your bylaws language (which only your organization can interpret). However, my personal opinion is that, if your quorum is based on delegates registered in attendance, it does not fall as delegates leave. They still registered in attendance. If you are using different language, though, then the answer may change. It seems yours says registered delegates, which arguably includes only those currently registered. Only your organization can decide, though.

35 minutes ago, blk28 said:

When a registered convention delegate leaves, with no intention of returning, assuming he checks out with the Credentials committee, does that reduce the number of delegates used for quorum? 

I agree in part with Mr. Katz, but I don’t think I am in complete agreement. I do agree that the answer most likely depends on the exact wording in your bylaws about the quorum at a convention.

The default in RONR, if your own bylaws are silent, is that the quorum is based on number of delegates who “have actually registered“ as being in attendance at the convention. RONR says that with that wording, having delegates depart does not reduce the quorum requirement. (RONR, 11th Ed., p. 617). 

However, if your bylaws say that the quorum is based on the delegates who “are registered” as being in attendance at the convention, and if delegates actually check out with the credentials desk when leaving, then, in my opinion, The quorum requirement may be reduced proportionately.  I know of one large national organizations whose bylaws use that wording and they take the position that delegates may indeed check out when leaving and that those who do check out at the credentials desk  are no longer considered as being registered or in attendance. 

Ultimately, it is probably going to be a matter of interpreting your own bylaws.

26 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

but I don’t think I am in complete agreement.

Somehow, I am not surprised 😉

27 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

However, if your bylaws say that the quorum is based on the delegates who “are registered” as being in attendance at the convention, and if delegates actually check out with the credentials desk when leaving, then, in my opinion, The quorum requirement may be reduced proportionately.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think it comes down to the language.

12 minutes ago, blk28 said:

The actual wording is:  "a majority of all registered delegates" -- which looks like it's going to be up for interpretation.
That wording could mean "all who have registered," or "all currently registered."

Is that an accurate reading of what has been said?

Yes, it is. 

6 hours ago, blk28 said:

The actual wording is:  "a majority of all registered delegates" -- which looks like it's going to be up for interpretation.
That wording could mean "all who have registered," or "all currently registered."

Is that an accurate reading of what has been said?

I concur with Mr. Brown and Mr. Katz that what whether the phrasing "a majority of all registered delegates" in the organization's rules means "all who have registered" or "all currently registered" is subject to interpretation, and it may be desirable in the long run to clarify this rule in the future, one way or the other.

The one thing I would add is that all of this is only relevant if the delegation in question has no available alternates. If an alternate is available to be upgraded, there would be no change in the number of currently registered delegates, making the question moot.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.