The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Electing unapposed slate

Guest Lindley

The election has to happen at a meeting, unless your bylaws say otherwise. See this thread about options for your meeting that was cancelled. And you can search for other threads as well about options for your meeting and what happens to the elected positions.

At the meeting, if there are no other nominees then the chair can declare the candidates elected by acclamation IF the bylaws do not require a ballot vote. (RONR 11th ed., p.443, lines 7-12).

"If the bylaws require the election of officers to be by ballot and there is only one nominee for an office, the ballot must nevertheless be taken for that office unless the bylaws provide for an exception in such a case." (p. 441, lines 25-28)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you! My organization is having the same issue. Directors are nominated and chosen by ballot (not at a meeting) then announced at the annual meeting, which of course was cancelled. We have an unopposed slate, and the board is empowered to fill empty positions until the next election, but I would prefer to send the ballots now and have them duly elected. Otherwise, if they fill the position  until the next election, all seven directors will have to be chosen on one ballot. 

Our constitution states a specific date that ballots are due, but they were never sent at all this spring. I believe we could still send the electronic ballots the way we normally send them and thus have the election, just late. Thoughts?

14 hours ago, Karen W said:

Thank you! My organization is having the same issue. Directors are nominated and chosen by ballot (not at a meeting) then announced at the annual meeting, which of course was cancelled. We have an unopposed slate, and the board is empowered to fill empty positions until the next election, but I would prefer to send the ballots now and have them duly elected. Otherwise, if they fill the position  until the next election, all seven directors will have to be chosen on one ballot. 

Our constitution states a specific date that ballots are due, but they were never sent at all this spring. I believe we could still send the electronic ballots the way we normally send them and thus have the election, just late. Thoughts?

I am inclined to agree that the organization can (and must) send the ballots as soon as possible notwithstanding that it failed to send them on time. Nonetheless, I am not entirely certain that it will be possible for the directors to be "duly elected." You say that "Directors are nominated and chosen by ballot (not at a meeting) then announced at the annual meeting, which of course was cancelled." It may be that your rules require the announcement to occur at a meeting and that the election is not final until this occurs, although it is hard to say for sure with a brief paraphrase. In any event, if the board is empowered to fill vacancies, this will allow the board to continue functioning until the election can be completed.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.