The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Help Mayor of City with issue

Josh Pope

a local committee came to the council asking about advise on an event and the council stated that they are leaving it up to the committee to decide and whatever they decided they would support. a couple meetings later the committee came asking for approval for a permit to proceed with the event, in which the council approved. Now the committee is coming back to the council for another permit to again proceed with the event. Now the council don't want to approval it. As the Mayor, I think this should be "Out of Order" on the grounds that they referred it committee and also approved a permit for the committee to proceed. If this  council makes a motion not to prove this next permit is obstruction to allow the committee to proceed with the event they gave them authority of.

If this comes to motion, as the Mayor, am in the right to call this "out of order" and not allow it to go to vote?  please advise

Since the council apparently provided authority to the committee to "proceed" with the event, I do see anything improper in the committee's making a report to the council with a recommendation either to amend the previously-issued permit or to replace the previously-issued permit with a new permit.  The facts presented are a little bit vague, so my response must necessarily be a little vague, also; however, I cannot find in the facts provided any interfering rule in RONR that would give cause for such a recommendation by the committee to be ruled out of order by the chair.

12 hours ago, Josh Pope said:

a local committee came to the council asking about advise on an event and the council stated that they are leaving it up to the committee to decide and whatever they decided they would support. a couple meetings later the committee came asking for approval for a permit to proceed with the event, in which the council approved. Now the committee is coming back to the council for another permit to again proceed with the event. Now the council don't want to approval it. As the Mayor, I think this should be "Out of Order" on the grounds that they referred it committee and also approved a permit for the committee to proceed. If this  council makes a motion not to prove this next permit is obstruction to allow the committee to proceed with the event they gave them authority of.

If this comes to motion, as the Mayor, am in the right to call this "out of order" and not allow it to go to vote?  please advise

I don't see any reason, based upon the facts provided and the rules in RONR, that it would be "out of order" for the council to refuse to approve the permit, and certainly not on the grounds that "they referred it committee and also approved a permit for the committee to proceed" or that "a motion not to [ap]prove this next permit is obstruction to allow the committee to proceed with the event they gave them authority of." The fact that an assembly chooses to grant a committee certain authority and approve certain actions of the committee does not bind the assembly to approve other actions of the committee in the future.

I also concur with J.J. that even if you were to rule this motion out of order, this ruling is subject to appeal (at least so far as RONR is concerned), since the assembly is the ultimate judge of its rules.

It is possible there is something in the council's own rules or applicable law which would provide otherwise on this matter, but that is beyond the scope of RONR and this forum.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.