The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Honorary Member

ChristineA

Good evening,

Can you tell me what is the process, using RONR, for the assembly to consider installing an honorary member? This member would not have voting rights or the ability to make motions, but is intended to be a 'member' who can speak and provide input. We are looking to allow a member who has valuable institutional memory.

Thanks you,

Chris

10 minutes ago, ChristineA said:

Good evening,

Can you tell me what is the process, using RONR, for the assembly to consider installing an honorary member? This member would not have voting rights or the ability to make motions, but is intended to be a 'member' who can speak and provide input. We are looking to allow a member who has valuable institutional memory.

Thanks you,

Chris

Your bylaws would need to provide for honorary members or you can't have them.  See RONR (11th ed.), p. 463 HONORARY OFFICERS (AND MEMBERS) for additional details.

53 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

Your bylaws would need to provide for honorary members or you can't have them.  See RONR (11th ed.), p. 463 HONORARY OFFICERS (AND MEMBERS) for additional details.

I agree. At the same time, if this organization simply wants to benefit from this person's institutional memory, it could simply allow him to attend meetings and speak in debate. The first would take a majority vote (or no vote at all if meetings are already open) and the latter a 2/3 vote or a majority with notice or a majority of the entire membership.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.