The Official RONR Q & A Forums

voting

Guest Cathey

1 hour ago, Guest Cathey said:

If everyone on the Board does not vote in the amount of time we have provided, even after a reminder was texted to her, may we count her as "present" or something?  

Well, it sounds like you're voting by some sort of absentee means, since it seems unlikely a reminder would be issued by texting a member if the vote was occurring at an in-person meeting. So it should first be noted that absentee voting is not permitted unless authorized in your bylaws.

If the board is in fact voting by absentee means, then it would seem to make absolutely no sense to count this person as "present." :)

I assume what is meant is that this would be counted as an abstention, and I think this is correct, although abstentions aren't counted anyway and ordinarily have no affect on the result. See FAQ #6.

Edited by Josh Martin

8 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

But is is not the case that in a roll-call vote, a member responding Present would be handled the same as if the member responds Abstain ?

That is the case, but my understanding is that 1) the vote in question is not a roll call vote, but rather a vote by email or some similar means, and 2) it makes no sense to respond "Present" (or to count someone who does not respond as "Present,") when they are not, in fact, present.

42 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

That is the case, but my understanding is that 1) the vote in question is not a roll call vote, but rather a vote by email or some similar means, and 2) it makes no sense to respond "Present" (or to count someone who does not respond as "Present,") when they are not, in fact, present.

I agree.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.