The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Public Comment

coffmantl

3 minutes ago, coffmantl said:

Can a member of City Counsel sign up for Public Comments, then address the counsel as a citizen during the Public Comment portion of the City Counsel Meeting, then resume their role as a counsel person?

I think the answer to this question would dddepend on the rules of the public body.  I know of no rule in RONR which specifically prohibits it, but RONR does not anticipate this particular situation where public comments are permitted.  I will add that I have seen members of city councils do this very thing during the time for public comments.  Usually, though, they are using time to make announcements, but I have also seen them use it to respond to other public comments.

4 hours ago, coffmantl said:

Can a member of City Counsel sign up for Public Comments, then address the counsel as a citizen during the Public Comment portion of the City Counsel Meeting, then resume their role as a counsel person?

Having seen a question similar to this on the AIP forums, it was noted by members of the forum that to engage in debate as a council member may be a violation of open meeting legislation as the topics were not posted in advance. 

I have to premise my statement by saying that I do not have first-hand knowledge of the legislation or your specific situation and am just making a general observation rather than a legal opinion.

No open meetings law that I am familiar with prohibits a member of a public body such as a city Council from making comments About items of interest to the community, whether it is announcing public events in his district or observations on matters of interest or a request for constituents to contact him regarding particular problems. I have never heard of such things being prohibited by an open meetings law. That is not the intent of such laws.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.