The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can t he assembly appoint a chair that does not meet all the qualifications

Guest cdjames2@gmail.com

Guest cdjames2@gmail.com

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.  An assembly can not find anyone to run as the chair of the assembly except someone who does not meet all the qualifications for the position.  Can the assembly with proper notice vote to appoint someone even if they do not meet all the qualifications as stated in the bylaws?

Guest Chair vs president

Is this question about a president (an officer of the organization who also chairs the meeting along other things like representing the organization). Then I think the answer is no.

Or is this question about a person who (temporarily) leads  the present  meeting,  in that case more flexibility is probably right

5 hours ago, Guest Chair vs president said:

Or is this question about a person who (temporarily) leads  the present  meeting,  in that case more flexibility is probably right

Generally an organization has no qualifications whatsoever for the appointment of a Chairman Pro Tempore, but I agree that if for some reason the organization has such qualifications, such rules are in the nature of rules of order and could be suspended by a 2/3 vote.

I expect the question, however, was regarding the permanent chairman of the organization, either the President or whatever title this organization uses.

Edited by Josh Martin

Yes this question is about permanent chair for an academic unit.  

The resolution they chose to take is to amend bylaws at a regular meeting.  We call this person chair of the faculty assembly.  This was not a Chairman Pro Tempore.

Everyone's help was right on time.  Thank you.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.