The Official RONR Q & A Forums

parliamentarian inquiry

Guest guest

Does the parliamentarian address the body when a parliamentary inquiry is made or does the presiding officer respond to the parliamentary inquiry?  If the parliamentarian does not address the body in this situation, is there ever a particular time where the parliamentarian should address the body in a general meeting? 

The role of the parliamentarian is to advise the presiding officer.  The parliamentarian does not make rulings, the chair does.  The chair also responds to parliamentary inquiries.

I can't immediately think of a situation where having the parliamentarian address the assembly would be the most advisable course of action.

10 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Does the parliamentarian address the body when a parliamentary inquiry is made or does the presiding officer respond to the parliamentary inquiry?

Generally, the presiding officer responds, although the parliamentarian may well assist the presiding officer in developing that response. RONR does note that the chair may have the parliamentarian respond, but suggests this should be limited to the "most involved matters" and "avoided if at all possible."

"The parliamentarian's role during a meeting is purely an advisory and consultative one—since parliamentary law gives to the chair alone the power to rule on questions of order or to answer parliamentary inquiries." (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 465)

"Only on the most involved matters should the parliamentarian actually be called upon to speak to the assembly; and the practice should be avoided if at all possible." (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 466)

14 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Does the parliamentarian address the body when a parliamentary inquiry is made or does the presiding officer respond to the parliamentary inquiry?  If the parliamentarian does not address the body in this situation, is there ever a particular time where the parliamentarian should address the body in a general meeting? 

Agreeing with the previous responses, it depends on the situation.  GENERALLY the parliamentarian advises the chair who then responds to parliamentary inquiries and makes rulings on points of order.  However, much depends on the role the organization wants the parliamentarian to play.  I have been hired as a convention parliamentarian when I was also expected to respond to inquiries from the members and delegates when asked for my opinion.  Most often, the issue of the parliamentarian addressing the assembly directly is within the discretion of the presiding officer. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.