The Official RONR Q & A Forums

eal with improperly submitted amendments

tcrane

36 minutes ago, tcrane said:

I have 13 improperly formatted amendments which I really don't want to move forward on any way.  They clearly do not meet Section 12 1(a) and 1(b) criteria.  I want to rule them out of order and that they be properly resubmitted at the next meeting.  Is this correct.  I am the President of the organization.

I really don't know how to answer this question because I have no idea what you are talking about. What do you mean when you say you "have" these amendments? What do you mean by "move forward?" In what manner are the amendments "improperly formatted?" What do you mean by "Section 12 1(a) and 1(b) criteria?" For that matter, what are these amendments to? Are they amendments to a pending motion? Amendments to a motion previously adopted? Amendments to the bylaws? Also, why is it that they would need to be resubmitted at the next meeting? Could the amendments be resubmitted at the same meeting? Or is there some sort of previous notice requirement?

Edited by Josh Martin

38 minutes ago, tcrane said:

They clearly do not meet Section 12 1(a) and 1(b) criteria. 

Are you referring to RONR 11th ed., p. 134, which refers to the basic processes of amendment (1a-to insert or add words and 1b-to insert or add a paragraph)?

42 minutes ago, tcrane said:

I want to rule them out of order and that they be properly resubmitted at the next meeting.  Is this correct.  I am the President of the organization.

As the president and, presumably, the chair of the meeting where the motions will be moved, I suggest that you take the following advice:

"When a member who has legitimately obtained the floor offers a moton which is not in order, the chair may be able, in certain instances, to suggest an alternative motion which would be in order and would carry out the desired intent to the satisfaction of the maker." (RONR 11th ed., p. 39, lines 17-21).

Your job as chair is not to find reasons to rule motions out of order but to assist members in making clear motions: "If a motion is offered in a wording that is not clear or that requires smoothing before it can be recorded in the minutes, it is the duty of the chair to see that the motion is put into suitable form—preserving the content to the satisfaction of the mover—before the question is stated." (p. 39, line 33 - p. 40, line 2. Emphasis added)

If it is possible to do this, I strongly advise against ruling them out of order and requiring an unnecessary delay to the next meeting. Your job as chair is to facilitate the business, not to put up roadblocks. This is the case whether you personally are in favour or opposed to the motions themselves.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.