The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Grievance or Complaint againt a Board Member

Guest Angie

Is there a procedure for a member to file a grievance against a board member? Our Bylaws state that our meetings are ran according to Robert's Rules, but doesn't mention which version. The Bylaws don't state that our organization is governed by Robert's Rules. When I asked about the member filing her grievance, I was told it's in Robert's Rules. Our Bylaws state a grievance can be filed after the member has been suspended or revoked, not prior. Do Bylaws trump Robert's Rules? I am confused. Thanks for the help.

23 minutes ago, Guest Angie said:

Is there a procedure for a member to file a grievance against a board member? Our Bylaws state that our meetings are ran according to Robert's Rules, but doesn't mention which version. The Bylaws don't state that our organization is governed by Robert's Rules. When I asked about the member filing her grievance, I was told it's in Robert's Rules.

RONR has no procedures regarding filing a "grievance" and does not use that term. RONR does have procedures for discipline and removal of members of the society as well as officers, including board members, which are discussed in Ch. XX of RONR. I'm not entirely certain if that is relevant to what you are referring to, although it doesn't seem to matter anyway since your bylaws have their own rules on this subject.

25 minutes ago, Guest Angie said:

Our Bylaws state a grievance can be filed after the member has been suspended or revoked, not prior. Do Bylaws trump Robert's Rules?

Yes, your bylaws take precedence over Robert's Rules of Order.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.