The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee

coleche

Please help.  This issue continues to come up in our organization.

A couple of members are unhappy about the results of an election and they attack the integrity of the Nominating Committee.  The committee used eligibility criteria that was stated in the bylaws and used that criteria to vet candidates as eligible or ineligible.  They presented the slate (list of nominees) to the membership  it was voted on however,The unhappy members demand to see  Nominating Committee  notes, documents,  and ballots of how members voted. 

The President said that Nominating Committee meetings are confidential and that revealing ballots would deny membership secrecy and defeat purpose of ballot voting.  She offered to have special committee to hear dispute and make a decision.

My question is what does the Nominating Committee have to reveal  about their committte deliberations when they are under attack about candidates?  This particular Nominating Committee was appointed because no one would run for the office.

Thank You!

Cheryl

1 hour ago, coleche said:

A couple of members are unhappy about the results of an election and they attack the integrity of the Nominating Committee.  The committee used eligibility criteria that was stated in the bylaws and used that criteria to vet candidates as eligible or ineligible.  They presented the slate (list of nominees) to the membership  it was voted on however,The unhappy members demand to see  Nominating Committee  notes, documents,  and ballots of how members voted. 

The President said that Nominating Committee meetings are confidential and that revealing ballots would deny membership secrecy and defeat purpose of ballot voting.  She offered to have special committee to hear dispute and make a decision.

My question is what does the Nominating Committee have to reveal  about their committte deliberations when they are under attack about candidates?  This particular Nominating Committee was appointed because no one would run for the office.

No individual member has a right to see the notes and documents of the nominating committee, but the assembly itself may order that this information be released if it wishes to do so. The nominating committee also could voluntarily disclose some of this information if desired. The President has no say in whether or not these documents are disclosed.

With regard to ballots, generally the same principle as above applies. No individual member has a right to view the ballots, although the assembly itself could order this.

I would also note that if ballot voting is done properly, examining the ballots should not reveal how any member has voted. So if this is a concern, it seems the ballot voting was not done properly.

I would also note that I am not entirely certain why there is so much concern about members seeing these workpapers if all the committee does is "use eligibility criteria that was stated in the bylaws and used that criteria to vet candidates as eligible or ineligible," and frankly I am not even certain why an entire committee is needed for this task. Are the eligibility criteria complicated or ambiguous?

1 hour ago, Rob Elsman said:

I see no reason why the unhappy members of the assembly cannot review the various work papers of the nominating committee.  They should make a reasonable request to the secretary, who is the custodian of such  work papers.  See RONR (12th ed.) 47:36.

It does not seem to me that the rule in question grants members a right to view the work papers of a committee. Members have a right to view the committee's reports, but it would seem to me that the other papers of the committee may be viewed only by members of the committee, unless otherwise ordered by the assembly.

"The same principles apply to records kept by boards and committees, these being accessible to members of the boards or committees (see also 49:17–19)." RONR (12th ed.) 47:36

Edited by Josh Martin

The rules in RONR seem more concerned with papers referred to the committee for the performance of its work than with work papers (other than reports) generated within the committee itself.  My sense of it is that a committee's internal work papers belong to the committee's parent after the committee has gone out of business, so any member of that parent would be free to examine them.

2 hours ago, coleche said:

Please help.  This issue continues to come up in our organization.

Thank You!

Cheryl

Did these unhappy members may any alternate nominations from the floor?

On 9/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, Josh Martin said:

It does not seem to me that the rule in question grants members a right to view the work papers of a committee. Members have a right to view the committee's reports, but it would seem to me that the other papers of the committee may be viewed only by members of the committee, unless otherwise ordered by the assembly.

"The same principles apply to records kept by boards and committees, these being accessible to members of the boards or committees (see also 49:17–19)." RONR (12th ed.) 47:36

I concur with Mr. Martin’s opinion. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.