The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ran out of Time

Mark Apodaca, PRP

Lets say that there is an agenda which was approved by the delegates during a biennial conference.  The agenda must be completed by, say 4 PM, as that was the agreement between the hotel and association to rent the ball room.  At 4 PM, the agenda was not completed as there were some remaining business which has not been touched.  What happens to the remaining items?  Do they fall into the cracks?

Greg,

Lets say that before adjournment, a delegate makes a motion to call for another meeting within 30 days to focus on just one very important item from the agenda.  The motion passes.  Two weeks later, the meeting will be scheduled to meet today (two weeks after the close of the meeting).  Would this be considered a special meeting since it will address only one item?

One thing that happened during the end of the previous meeting was that there was no motion to adjourn or fix the time.

Mark, based on your latest comment, I would say that next meeting is a special meeting to deal with that one topic and that it is not an adjourned meeting which can pick up where the original meeting left off.

Edited to add: whether this new meeting is a special meeting or an adjourned meeting may depend on the exact wording of the motion that was made to set the new meeting. 

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

The organization's bylaws do not have a section for special meetings for either the board or the conference.  The bylaws are mostly a 1980's version with a number of amendments since then.  Yes, I explained what RONR points out but again it was the President's decision.  I encouraged the President to have its new Bylaws Committee draft new revised bylaws.  It is way overdue and hopefully I will become involved in a consulting capacity.

I found this meeting to be interesting and quite challenging.  You have a delegate who is deaf-blind and the president of an association serving the deaf-blind community in the USA.  He requires an interpreter who signs to the presiding officer who is deaf along with over 130 delegates who are deaf also.  

In my younger days as an accountant, I used to work with a young person who was deaf.  We both had to accommodate the needs of the other.  I even was trained to use ASL in a beginner's sort of way.  I found it very interesting.  This person was very pleasant and patient, so it was a real joy to experience.

Providing sight and sound simultaneously at a meeting would, indeed, be a challenge.  I would have liked to have seen how parliamentary procedure worked in such an environment.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.