The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Membership Suspension

Guest Megan

Good evening! Does RONR address the definition of a "membership suspension"? It is as if I am no longer a member, not privy to any benefits? Am I held to any member obligations such as following the requirements on the membership application? Can formal charges be filed against me as a "suspended" member?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions!

Megan

4 minutes ago, Guest Megan said:

Does RONR address the definition of a "membership suspension"?

Yes.

"Members in good standing are those whose rights as members of the assembly are not under suspension as a consequence of disciplinary proceedings or by operation of some specific provision in the bylaws. A member may thus be in good standing even if in arrears in payment of dues (see 45:1, 56:19). If only some of an individual’s rights as a member of the assembly are under suspension (for example, the rights to make motions and speak in debate), other rights of assembly membership may still be exercised (for example, the rights to attend meetings and vote)." RONR (12th ed.) 1:13n3

5 minutes ago, Guest Megan said:

It is as if I am no longer a member, not privy to any benefits?

A member who is suspended loses some or all of their rights as a member for the duration of the suspension. When the member is suspended, it should be specified exactly what rights and benefits are suspended. If this is not specified, I am generally inclined to think that the suspension should be interpreted as referring to all rights of membership (except those relating to disciplinary procedures).

7 minutes ago, Guest Megan said:

Am I held to any member obligations such as following the requirements on the membership application?

Yes, a member who is under disciplinary suspension is still expected to follow any obligations of membership imposed upon members by the society's rules. Members under disciplinary suspension are, for instance, still required to pay their membership dues.

11 minutes ago, Guest Megan said:

Can formal charges be filed against me as a "suspended" member?

Yes, under the disciplinary procedures in RONR, charges may be preferred against a member who currently has some or all of their rights under disciplinary suspension. This might be done if further misconduct had occurred while the member was suspended, and it was desired to impose more severe penalties, such as expanding the rights under suspension (if only some rights had been suspended previously), extending the length of the suspension, or expelling the member from a society.

Thank you very much.

Nothing was detailed in my letter of findings yet I was kicked of our FB page and removed from mailings/ballots from the club and the magazine. I am being treated as a non member but held to the standards of members. Now, the member who filed the charges is claiming on FB the only thing that was suspended was my right to vote. Ha!

Thank you again,
Megan

On 10/27/2020 at 8:51 PM, Josh Martin said:

When the member is suspended, it should be specified exactly what rights and benefits are suspended. If this is not specified, I am generally inclined to think that the suspension should be interpreted as referring to all rights of membership (except those relating to disciplinary procedures).

I agree. Unless the suspension specified that only your right to vote was being suspended, it seems to me it was a general suspension which suspended all rights of membership.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.