The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Notice

JustinPappano

Hi all, 

Suppose you have a meeting where you considering a motion that requires 7 days notice as per the bylaws. Further, suppose that this meeting is inquorate. The President then calls a special meeting with 4 days notice as required in the bylaws to consider that motion, is notice fulfilled? Or does the special meeting also have to be at least 7 days in advance?

10 minutes ago, Rob Elsman said:

Without seeing the bylaw,

Let's for sake of discussion show the bylaw clause pertinent here:

"[the governing documents can be amended] by a two-thirds vote provided that notice of fourteen (14) days has been provided to all members of the Board of Directors"

Does this change anything? I don't think so, but I don't mind hearing everyone's opinion. 

1 hour ago, JustinPappano said:

Suppose you have a meeting where you considering a motion that requires 7 days notice as per the bylaws. Further, suppose that this meeting is inquorate. The President then calls a special meeting with 4 days notice as required in the bylaws to consider that motion, is notice fulfilled? Or does the special meeting also have to be at least 7 days in advance?

The latter, I think. It seems to me that notice would need to be provided anew. I don't think notice given for a motion intended to be made at a regular meeting "carries over" to a special meeting.

If the assembly instead established an adjourned meeting I think they would be covered.

1 hour ago, JustinPappano said:

Let's for sake of discussion show the bylaw clause pertinent here:

"[the governing documents can be amended] by a two-thirds vote provided that notice of fourteen (14) days has been provided to all members of the Board of Directors"

Does this change anything? I don't think so, but I don't mind hearing everyone's opinion. 

No, this does not change my opinion.

31 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Suppose that, instead, they go ahead and adopt the bylaw amendment even although no quorum is present.  Can a special meeting then be called to ratify this action?

Yes, I think so, although I am inclined to think that a motion to ratify has the same requirements for adoption as the action being ratified, including any previous notice requirements.

9 hours ago, JustinPappano said:

Hi all, 

Special meetings do require notice, but it does not necessarily have to be the same interval as that required for bylaws amendments.  The fact that the 7-day notice of amendment was duly given does not shorten the notice required for a special meeting.

This whole question can be avoided by setting an adjourned meeting rather than a special meeting.

9 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Suppose that, instead, they go ahead and adopt the bylaw amendment even although no quorum is present.  Can a special meeting then be called to ratify this action?

5 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

I'd say that the notice requirement has been complied with.

I agree. I do not believe that additional notice is necessary in order to ratify the action taken at the inquorate meeting for which proper notice had been given.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.