The Official RONR Q & A Forums

RONR and non-binary officers or members

Caryn Ann Harlos

As I am reading RONR (studying furiously for parts of the RP exam), it occurred to me that I don't know how this is handled though I have some ideas now.  If, say, the presiding officer, is a non-binary person, how should they be addressed, title-wise?  Neither Mr. Chair or Madame Chair would be appropriate.

Edited by Caryn Ann Harlos

47 minutes ago, Caryn Ann Harlos said:

I don't care the issue because of the exam.  I care about the issue because in my circles and conventions I am likely to work at, it will come up.

If this is so, then I suggest you draft a rule for them to consider adopting in order to satisfy this concern.

On 11/3/2020 at 7:43 AM, Caryn Ann Harlos said:

I don't care the issue because of the exam.  I care about the issue because in my circles and conventions I am likely to work at, it will come up.

Would it make too much sense if someone simply asked for the person's actual preference as regards the form of address?

It also would not be too much to think that since it is pretty obvious this is a change in culture that will be with us like same sex marriage rather than having to treat them differently than other people who we just naturally have something to say without having to ask; it would be nice if there were already respectful formalities in place.  Perhaps one day when "Madame Chairman" gets the boot this will also be addressed.  Modernity comes by hook or by crook.  I don't want to be like the proverbial old lady yelling get off my lawn at the inevitable changes brought by those darned kids.   But okay I have my answer.  

2 hours ago, Caryn Ann Harlos said:

It also would not be too much to think that since it is pretty obvious this is a change in culture that will be with us like same sex marriage rather than having to treat them differently than other people who we just naturally have something to say without having to ask; it would be nice if there were already respectful formalities in place.  Perhaps one day when "Madame Chairman" gets the boot this will also be addressed.  Modernity comes by hook or by crook.  I don't want to be like the proverbial old lady yelling get off my lawn at the inevitable changes brought by those darned kids.   But okay I have my answer.  

Well, I don't claim to be an expert on "woke" culture, but I understand that in groups where such questions are the subject of particular interest, it is common for a person to volunteer, or to be asked, "what are your preferred pronouns?"  This is only a small extension of that practice.

It would not surprise me to find that, even if RONR had a recommendation on this issue, three different chairs could easily find six different ways to disagree with it.

What's wrong with calling the presiding officer, "Chair"?

In Canada, I hear it used as a title fairly often. A member who is recognized often starts by saying, "Thank you, Chair. I move that..."

It's similar in many of our legislatures, where members often precede their questions with, "Through you, Speaker, to the Minister..."

Edited by Atul Kapur
Reworded second sentence to obviate need for a pronoun

I agree.  It is short and nongendered.

and what some friends and I discussed was for formalities with members, use Member Smith or Delegate Jones and the like.  

I think that is the direction RONR will need to take.  

I will be forever jarred by the use of Madame Chairman.  That makes no sense.  And if language is getting in the way it is no longer serving its purpose as an unobtrusive facilitator.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.