The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is there a mechanism for dissolving a committee that is intentionally obstructing the business of a deliberative body and staging a new election for members of that committee?

Guest cathleen.carlin@case.edu

Yes, but a lot depends on exactly how the committee was established and appointed.

Is this a standing, or a special committee?

Is it established in the bylaws, or by a motion, and if the latter, by what body, general membership, board?

Who appointed the members of the committee?  By the president, by the parent body, ?

Also, how is this committee obstructing the business of the parent body?  That's a lot of power for a committee to have.

In addition to the questions posed by Mr. Novosielski, I am wondering if this “committee“ is a committee in the traditional sense of the word or if it is actually deliberative assembly which is called a committee, much as political parties have state and county central committees.  Those committees aren’t really committees, but are more in the nature of boards.

Edited To add: never mind. Upon rereading the post, it does appear that the original poster is referring to a committee as the term is used in RONR. It is really hard to tell, based on the information provided, exactly what the situation is.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Guest cathleen.carlin@case.edu

Let me provide some context.  The committee in question is an elected steering committee whose by-laws charge includes approving the agenda for the larger deliberative assembly.  However, some members of the committee are now refusing to approve the agenda due to an internal power struggle, and because of that the business of the larger deliberative body is stalled.  It is also worth noting that although the steering committee is elected it is not representative of all constituents in the larger deliberative body.  Any advice appreciated.

26 minutes ago, Guest cathleen.carlin@case.edu said:

Let me provide some context.  The committee in question is an elected steering committee whose by-laws charge includes approving the agenda for the larger deliberative assembly.  However, some members of the committee are now refusing to approve the agenda due to an internal power struggle, and because of that the business of the larger deliberative body is stalled.  It is also worth noting that although the steering committee is elected it is not representative of all constituents in the larger deliberative body.  Any advice appreciated.

I don't really think I can begin to attempt to resolve this question, since it appears this question relates to the organization's own heavily customized rules, and I don't know what those rules are. It may be advisable to consult a professional parliamentarian who can review the organization's rules in full. The National Association of Parliamentarians and the American Institute of Parliamentarians provide referrals.

Agreeing with Mr. Martin, it appears to me that this steering committee is actually in the nature of a board, such as an executive board (board of directors) or executive committee (which is actually a board despite being called a committee).  It appears to be functioning as an executive board or executive committee rather than a committee as the term is defined in RONR. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.