Jump to content
The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When would it be appropriate for a ballot to elect Board members include "approval of minutes from the Special Meeting" that was held previous to the annual meeting. Why is the membership being asked to vote on minutes from a Special Meeting?


Bernie Johns
 Share

Recommended Posts

It makes no sense to put Approval of Minutes on an election ballot.  Reading and Approval of Minutes is a separate item of business and the rules for considering it do not include a ballot vote, or for that matter any vote on approval at all. 

The only way to object to approval of the minutes is to offer a correction that fixes whatever the problem is.  When all corrections are disposed of, the minutes stand approved.

Edited by Gary Novosielski
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The attached is not an election ballot. It is a proxy form, instructing the proxyholder how to vote on all questions anticipated to come before the meeting.

The OP asks, "Why is the membership being asked to vote on minutes from a Special Meeting?"

The membership approves minutes of membership meetings, whether regular or special. This is a proxy form for a meeting of the members.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On what grounds are you making this request?

Remember that this is not an absentee or mail-in election ballot. This is a proxy form with instructions to the proxyholder on how to cast the proxy vote on motions 1, 2, and 4 and how to cast the proxy vote for the election of directors.

 

I wouldn't go as far as Mr. Novosielski when he says

On 11/11/2020 at 10:17 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

Reading and Approval of Minutes is a separate item of business and the rules for considering it do not include a ballot vote, or for that matter any vote on approval at all. 

because RONR (12th ed.) 41:10 does consider it and is clear that a motion to approve minutes is not necessary but it is not out of order.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Atul Kapur said:

because RONR (12th ed.) 41:10 does consider it and is clear that a motion to approve minutes is not necessary but it is not out of order.

True; but it seems to me that 41:11 makes it clear that even if a motion to approve the minutes is made, a vote on approval is not taken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Weldon Merritt said:

True; but it seems to me that 41:11 makes it clear that even if a motion to approve the minutes is made, a vote on approval is not taken.

I agree with Mr. Merritt (and, I suppose, with Mr. Novosielski).  There should not be a vote on approving the minutes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...