The Official RONR Q & A Forums

ptc122

50 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

J.J., you can note all you want, but the truth of the matter is that the mere fact that some rules which are in the nature of rules of order that must be placed in the bylaws in order to be effective, such as establishment of a quorum and plurality voting for officers, are rules which can be suspended.

What I posted on 11/25/2020 did not say otherwise. What I said there was that I doubted the ability of an assembly to create, by a motion to suspend the rules, a rule to last for the remainder of a session if it is a rule that it cannot create to last beyond the session by the adoption of a special rule of order. I did not say that the assembly could not suspend the rule at all. In the two instances I mention above, it can. Beside that, I said only that I doubted its ability to create a rule to last for the remainder of the session by suspending the rules, and that's where I remain as to that question only -- simply in a state of doubt.

Mr. Honemann, would you agree that something that created a basic right of an individual member could not be suspended?  Do you agree that a rule in the nature of a rule of order could not be suspended by a 2/3 vote if it protected a minority of one? 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.