The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Does Robert's Rules 12e allow for BLOCing Main Motions?

Mistah_Bee

27 minutes ago, Mistah_Bee said:

I have been looking through RONR 12e and the only reference to BLOCing is "in Gross" which seems to relate only to amendments.

Does Robert's Rules allow for the consideration of multiple Main Motions at once?  And, if so, what is the correct process to BLOC motions?

I suggest you look at 10:25 and 41:32.

10:25 is what I was after.  Thank you!

If an agenda has a space where on time motions exist, and practice is to only take motions as they are already sequenced, would it be possible for a motion to consider multiple resolutions to be inserted (taking precedence over other items) or would that motion need to be dealt with in the "late motions" section of the agenda (after the motions that were on-time, which is was hoping to combine) has already been dealt with?

29 minutes ago, Mistah_Bee said:

If an agenda has a space where on time motions exist, and practice is to only take motions as they are already sequenced, would it be possible for a motion to consider multiple resolutions to be inserted (taking precedence over other items) or would that motion need to be dealt with in the "late motions" section of the agenda (after the motions that were on-time, which is was hoping to combine) has already been dealt with?

It sounds like the assembly in question has its own rules on these subjects, and as a result it will ultimately be necessary to consult those rules.

Generally, however, I think that a rule of this nature would not prevent making a motion to consider multiple resolutions in gross. Even to the extent that such a motion was prevented by this rule, I think that the rule could be suspended. Since the rule apparently only provides that "late motions" are considered later in the agenda rather than preventing their consideration altogether, the rule does not appear to protect the rights of absentees in the way that a requirement for previous notice generally would.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.